Q Theatre has been making work for more than 50 years. Based at The Joan, Penrith we offer audiences a chance to see theatre that has been provoked, inspired or exploded out of our local context. We build pathways for established and early career artists to train, experiment and create.
Q Theatre Lab is Q Theatre’s artist in residence program. The residency is designed to make creative space and time for the development of dynamic theatre projects at an early to mid-stage of their conception. Projects are selected through an open callout process and applications are welcome from individuals and ensembles. Successful applicants will receive financial assistance, space to develop the work, as well as technical and dramaturgical support for dedicated creative development.
The two successful applicants will present their work (approx. 30 min) as a double bill in a two-night season in the Mullins Studio at The Joan.
We are therefore looking for new theatrical projects that have the potential and capacity to be audience-ready within the 3-week timeframe. To discuss this further please contact Melissa Cannon by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Q THEATRE LAB PROVIDES:
- $2500 artist fee
- 12 days of development space: 9.30am-5pm, Monday to Friday, within the Joan Sutherland Performing Arts Centre (Penrith)
- A technical rehearsal, dress rehearsal and two-night season in the Allan Mullins Studio at the Joan
- Access to available studio lighting, sound, and AV equipment
- Technical Support (up to 8 hours)
- Dramaturgical Support (up to 6 hours)
- Marketing and Publicity support
- Consideration for further development with Q Theatre
Q THEATRE SCHEDULE – JANUARY / FEBRUARY 2022:
|31 January 9.30am – 5pm (Residency)||1 February 9.30am – 5pm (Residency)||2 February 9.30am – 5pm (Residency)||3 February 9.30am – 5pm (Residency)||4 February 9.30am – 5pm (Residency)|
|7 February 9.30am – 5pm (Residency)||8 February 9.30am – 5pm (Residency)||9 February 9.30am – 5pm (Residency)||10 February 9.30am – 5pm (Residency)||11 February 9.30am – 5pm (Residency)|
|14 February 9.30am – 5pm (Residency)||15 February 9.30am – 5pm (Residency)||16 February 2pm – 9pm (Tech / Dress)||17 February 6pm – 9pm (Show 1)||18 February 6pm – 9pm (Show 2)|
- Strong artistic rationale (what are you making and why are you making it) which demonstrates:
- Merit: that your work is theatrically interesting and high quality (e.g. in content and/or form)
- Resonance: that it has the potential to speak to local audiences.
- Viability: The capacity of you/your team to present a workshop performance to a ticketed audience at the end of the residency (e.g. a clear process, and the experience needed to deliver a public outcome)
We strongly encourage applications from artists that identify as Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander, Culturally & Linguistically Diverse and/or have a demonstrated connection to Western Sydney.
Applications Open: 15 November 2021
Applications Close: 8 December 2021
Notifications: 15 December 2021
Residency: 31 January – 18 February 2022
Performances: 7.30pm, 17 – 18 February 2022
Residencies available: 2
Residency Location: The Joan (Penrith)
Image credit: Betty is a Butcher, Thomas Campbell, Q Theatre 2021 Development Project, Photo by Clare Hawley